When it comes to protecting your dirt bike from rocks, roots, and other debris on the trail, a skid plate is an essential accessory. Not only does it shield the frame and engine of your bike from direct impact damage, but it also provides a functional role in trail riding.
One of the most popular and highly-rated skid plates on the market is the Enduro Engineering skid plate.
In this review, we will take an in-depth look at the features and benefits of the popular skid plate, and explore how it performs on the toughest terrains. Whether you are a serious dirt bike rider or a weekend warrior, this review will help you make an informed decision about this essential accessory for your off-road adventures.
Enduro Engineering is a leading provider of high-quality off-road motorcycle accessories, including skid plates, radiator guards, handguards, and exhaust guards. Based in Michigan, the company has been designing and manufacturing durable and reliable products for off-road riders since 1987. Their focus on quality and performance has made them a trusted name in the industry.
They manufacture strong aluminum skid plates for KTM, Husaberg, Husqvarna, Gas Gas, Kawasaki, Honda, Yamaha, Sherco, Suzuki, and Beta.
Their skid plate design protects the critical engine parts, such as water pumps, oil filters, engine cases and covers. They also designed the skid plates with vents and holes to drop most of the mud and other debris. These holes also let you drain the engine or gear oil without removing the skid plate from the frame. This definitely saves time.
I have used the standard Enduro Engineering skid plate for the past 5 years or so on my old 2018 KTM 300 XC-W. For the new 2023 KTM 300 XC-W, I installed the Enduro Engineering Xtreme skid plate. This one is taller on the sides and offers better case protection.
Enduro Engineering Skid Plate
This skid plate is strong, easy to install and offers excellent protection for dirt bikes.
The aluminum construction makes it very light. Additionally, the holes on the under side also allow oil changes without removing the skid plate.
- Excellent protection: The Enduro Engineering skid plate effectively protects your dirt bike's frame and engine from damage. The Xtreme model has bigger side protection.
- Durable construction: Made from high-quality aluminum, this skid plate is built to last and can withstand anything.
- Lightweight design: Despite its rugged construction, the Enduro Engineering skid plate is lightweight, thanks to the use of perforated aluminum.
- Easy installation: With its simple mounting system, this skid plate can be installed quickly and easily, even if you don't have much mechanical experience.
- Compatibility: The Enduro Engineering skid plate is compatible with a wide range of dirt bike models.
- Price: The Enduro Engineering skid plate is slightly more expensive than some other skid plates on the market, which may be a drawback for some riders on a tight budget.
- Limited color options: This skid plate is only available in aluminum, which may not be ideal for some riders.
- Maintenance: Dirt and debris can get trapped between the skid plate and the engine, so you'll need to remove the skid plate periodically to clean it out.
- Noise: Some riders have reported that the skid plate can produce a loud noise when hitting rocks or other obstacles, which can be distracting and annoying.
- Aluminum skid plate makes the dirt bike frame flex less. This can be an issue for some riders.
The Enduro Engineering skid plate is a durable and strong aluminum guard designed to protect your dirt bike from damage while off-roading. Made from lightweight aluminum, this skid plate offers excellent protection against rocks, roots, and other debris you will encounter on the trail. It is compatible with a wide range of dirt bike models and is easy to install. With its proven performance in various types of off-road terrain, the Enduro Engineering skid plate is a top choice for dirt bike riders looking to protect their bikes from damage.
The Installation Process
The installation is fairly straightforward. The skid plate comes with few alternate ways to install it to the dirt bike frame. Depending on the dirt bike model, you either use the bolts on the frame or the separate mounting bracket.
In short, the installation is simple:
- Start by removing any existing skid plate or engine guards from your dirt bike if you have them.
- Clean the frame and install the protective tape into the frame. The tape prevents lowering the noise and rattling where the aluminum skid plate connects to the frame.
- Place the Enduro Engineering skid plate onto the frame. Line up the mounting holes with the holes on the frame.
- Insert the bolts through the mounting holes into the frame, but do not tighten them yet.
- Adjust the position of the skid plate so that it is centered and straight.
- Once you have the skid plate properly aligned, tighten the bolts using a wrench or socket set. Make sure to tighten them evenly and securely.
- Check the skid plate and mounting bolts periodically to ensure they are still tight and secure.
The Enduro Engineering skid plate fits snugly to the dirt bike frame and protects not only the frame and the engine, but the sides of the engine as well. The standard model has adequate protection for lower side impacts against the case. Additionally, the Xtreme version has the extended flaps for added side protection. In my 550+ hours on the 2018 KTM and the standard skid plate, I never cracked the engine covers or had any damage to the frame.
The skid plate is quiet, sturdy and fits very well. It slides relatively well over obstacles, which is usually a drawback for aluminum skid plates. The holes and perforated sections of the skid plate makes it light but also gives access to the oil drain plug. This makes regular maintenance easier.
The main differences in skid plates are in material and design. The materials used will affect weight, level of protection, and performance (how the skid plate glides over obstacles, such as logs). We talk about different dirt bike skid plates in this recent article, be sure to check it out.
However, here are five popular dirt bike skid plates available on the market:
- Acerbis skid plates: Acerbis is a popular brand that produces a wide range of dirt bike parts and accessories, including skid plates. Their skid plates come in lightweight and durable plastic and come in a variety of colors.
- Moose Racing skid plates: Moose Racing is another well-known brand in the dirt bike world. Their skid plates are primarily high-quality aluminum.
- Works Connection skid plates: Works Connection is a respected brand that produces a range of high-quality dirt bike parts and accessories. Their skid plates are made of lightweight aluminum and feature a smooth, flat design for maximum protection.
- Polisport skid plates: Polisport is a well-known brand that produces a variety of dirt bike parts and accessories. Their skid plates are made of durable plastic and are designed to protect the engine and frame of dirt bikes from rocks, debris, and other hazards.
Frequently Asked Questions
A skid plate is a protective guard, that installs under the frame on a dirt bike. They are made of aluminum, carbon fiber, plastic or composites. The main purpose of an skid plate is to prevent direct impact damage to the engine and frame.
This is a common question because there are many different models and brands of skid plates available, and it can be overwhelming to choose the right one. It’s important to consider factors such as the type of riding you’ll be doing, the level of protection you need, and your budget when selecting a skid plate. Read more about dirt bike skid plates here.
Weight is a concern for many dirt bike riders, as added weight can affect the bike’s handling and performance. It’s important to choose a skid plate that is made from lightweight materials to minimize the impact on the bike’s weight.
Many people wonder how difficult the installation process is for skid plates. Fortunately, most skid plates are designed to be easy to install, and you don’t need any special tools or skills to do it. It’s important to consult the manufacturer’s installation instructions and take your time to ensure the skid plate is properly aligned and secured.
In conclusion, the Enduro Engineering Skid Plate is a highly-regarded accessory for dirt bike riders looking to protect their bikes from damage while off-roading. Its durable construction, easy installation process, and compatibility with a wide range of dirt bike models make it a top choice for many riders. Additionally, the skid plate has proven to perform well in a variety of off-road terrain, including rocky and muddy trails.
When choosing a skid plate, it’s important to consider your individual needs and the type of riding you’ll be doing. While the this aluminum skid plate is a great option, you can find many other brands and models on the market that may be better suited to your specific requirements. It’s also important to ensure proper installation and maintenance of your skid plate to ensure it provides maximum protection for your dirt bike.
Overall, a high-quality skid plate is an essential accessory for any serious dirt bike rider, and the Enduro Engineering skid plate is a great option to consider for its reliability and durability.
Last updated: March 22, 2023